The Associated Press
Published 8:10 AM EST Nov 6, 2019
ORLANDO, Fla. — Federal investigators say Universal Orlando Resort won’t be cited for electrical problems that led to lifeguards getting shocked at its water park, saying the resort was unaware something was wrong.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration says in a report released this week that five lifeguards reported receiving electric shocks in June at the Volcano Bay water park.
The lifeguards were taken to a hospital for observation after they reported feeling tingling in the water. They were released the same day.
Sarah Carlino, who was visiting with family from Boston, told The Orlando Sentinel at the time that her sisters reported feeling “zapped” on their feet as they walked around Volcano Bay.
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
A Universal official told investigators that engineers measured 20 to 30 volts on a sidewalk. The cause was found to be electrical wiring damaged during construction that sent electrical current through the ground.
Universal spokesman Tom Schroder says the problem is resolved and the park is safe.
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe